From the App
- Open the app
- Tap the closest station market in the map screen. Be sure to enable location services from the app.
- Use your smartphone camera to scan the bike’s QR code. The code will be between the handlebars or on the rear fender. Wait for the green light and a “ding,” indicating that it is now unlocked.
- Remove the bike from the dock by the handlebars or lift the seat to release it.
- Enjoy your ride!
With a Bike Key
- To unlock a bike with a key, insert your bike key into the slot on the dock next to an available bike. If your bike doesn’t unlock, make sure you’re at an online station.
- When the light on the dock turns green, the bike is unlocked.
- Pull the bike out of the dock by the handlebars or lift the bike by the seat to release it.
At a Kiosk
- At the station kiosk, press the "Getting Started" button on the kiosk screen.
- Insert your credit or debit card.
- You should then receive a 5-digit ride code. Enter this into the keypad on the dock next to an available bike. Each ride code is good for one single use.
- When the light turns green, the bike is unlocked.
- Remove it from the dock by the handlebars or lift the seat to release it.
- If you want to ride again while your pass is active, just insert the same credit card into a kiosk to get a new ride code. (Don’t worry! You won’t be charged again.)
From the Lyft App
- In the Lyft app, ensure your Citi Bike account is connected in the ‘Linked Accounts’ Section of your profile.
- You’ll see available cars in the Home Page map. When you are in the Citi Bike program service area, bikes will appear in the 'Nearby' section of the Lyft app (towards the bottom of the page).
- Tap ‘Unlock a bike’ in the Lyft app to purchase a $4.49 Single Ride, then scan the QR code located on the handlebars. If you're having trouble scanning the QR code, you can unlock your bike by tapping on the small keyboard icon to manually enter the chainstay/bike number.