If you think there's a trip you believe should have earned a point that did not award the point, there's a few different reasons this might have occurred.
1. Trip Impact: Occasionally, Bike Angels will take a trip that ends at a station in need of bikes and offering "Drop Off points" that also started at a station offering "Drop Off points." The inverse, with "Pick Up points" at both ends of a rental may also happen.
Points are awarded based on the pair of stations in a given trip, rather than individual stations. In general, we only award points when you
- Start at a station offering "Pick Up points" or offering no points ("neutral station") and
- End at a station offering "Drop Off points" or offering no points ("neutral station")
2. Trip Timing: A little more clarity on the points algorithm itself -- the Bike Angels scores on the map update every 15 minutes right now. As you can imagine, being more "real-time" means we are awarding points more accurately based on the fill level of various stations. However, it does impact the user experience adversely if they are planning trips and the scores change. The score changes occur on the hour along with 15, 30, and 45 minutes past the hour.
3. Map Freezing: The scores displayed at the time you begin your rental are the points you are eligible to earn on your rental. This way you're able to plan your trip without needing to check your phone while biking. We're working on "freezing" the scores in the app as well so that they do not change on the app display while you're in an active rental!
One more note: in rare cases, the Bike Angels points take a few minutes to register, and they are not included in the push notification on your mobile device. You can always check the points earned on your most recent trip and your monthly, annual, and lifetime points total in you member profile on Citi Bike's website (on a mobile or desktop browser).
If none of these apply, please shoot a note to email@example.com with details on the trip (time and location). The Bike Angels team will investigate and take it from there!